Thursday, January 3, 2013

The most special visit

Alex and I have been fortunate to have so many family and friends visit us in Luxembourg this last year and a half. (I can't believe we will have been year 2 years in April!!)  We had wonderful, unique times with each and every person and made memories to last us our entire lives. 

The most special visit for me was from my sweet parents who left their comfort zone, applied for passports and embarked on their first International flight...all for me.  The news of their coming was just so exciting!

Because they only had 10 days in Europe, I wanted to make sure that we chose the absolute perfect city for the time they wouldn't spend in Luxembourg.  Since Rome is one of my favorite places in the world for reasons mom and dad would love also, we booked their flights from Atlanta directly to the magical city of Rome, Italy.

Rome ended up being the perfect choice for my parent's first glimpse of Europe. The warm people, delicious food and amazing history drew them in, as it does me each and every time I'm there. Mom and dad thrived and I loved watching them take everything in.

Though jet-lagged and running on no sleep, mom and dad powered through the Coliseum and Roman Forum the first day of their visit!
 
The Pantheon, which was just around the corner from our little apartment
 
And this photo with the "Pantheon Romans" was worth every bit of the 5 Euros these gentlemen made on us :)
 
This visit, Alex and I finally made it to the Mouth of Truth from the film, "Roman Holiday" (a must see!!)
 
After our Roman Holiday, Alex and I brought mom and dad back with us to Luxembourg for them to spend the remaining days of their stay.  We walked all over the city, through the Grund to Claussen and got some great photos along the way...
 
 
The Grund bridge
 
Our last little adventure, so that mom and dad could add another country to their list, was Trier, Germany.  Only 45 minutes from Luxembourg, Trier is a great day trip option for our guests.  There are ancient Roman ruins (Porta Nigra), beautiful churches and a charming, cobblestoned pedestrian zone full of shopping and sausages, of course...
 
The Porta Nigra (Trier's ancient "black gate" into the city)
 
After a busy and delightful 10 days, it was hard to see mom and dad go.  We'd seen a new part of the world together and spent an entire week in a half in each other's company.  It was just perfect.  I know I will remember that trip all my life - I think my parents will, as well.
 
Love from Luxembourg,
Melanie
 
 
 

 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment