Friday, April 15, 2011

Alone in Lux: Day 1

Yesterday was Alex's first day of work, which meant that it was my first day solo in my new European home.  My first task was to drive Alex to work in the manual shift rental car, which is a lovely red "Ibiza."  Here she is in all of her splendor...


After our initaial drive from the airport, I was terrified to get behind the wheel.  (I owe a lot to my dad, who taught me to drive a 5-speed when I was 16 because this would have NOT been the time to learn.)  The drive, thanks to dad and the map on my iPhone, went just fine and Alex made it to work - almost on time - but that wasn't the Ibiza's fault. 

My second event for the day was a "welcome coffee" at the American Women's Club. The AWCL is open to any English speaking native living in Luxembourg and I went for the single purpose of making friends and meeting people.  Because I didn't want to attempt to drive again quite yet, I walked a little over a mile to the clubhouse and was greeted by about 20 other women who were mostly in their 40's and 50's.  Luckily, there was a seat open by one of the two young girls in the room who I imagine will become a good friend.  My new friend and I talked about all the opportunities the Women's Club offers (fitness, hiking, book clubs, happy hours, etc.) and I decided to join.  After all, my schedule is quite free these days :)

After a nice walk home, I had lunch and mentally prepared myself for the Ibiza again.  This time, my drive would be to the Auchan - the huge grocery superstore across town.  This drive didn't go quite as well because I got a little off track (lost) coming and going but I did come out with the item I went for - my very own poussez.  If you read my 2nd blog post, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  Here she is!


A "poussez," as the locals call it, is what you bring with you to the Wednesday and Saturday morning markets to haul your fresh fruits, veggies and flowers back home in.  I've been anxiously awaiting the purchase of this item and am now ready for the market!

Lastly, I'm excited to share that Alex and I have Friday night plans...with PEOPLE!  We have a happy hour with the American Women's Club for members and their husbands and then we have our first Lux double date with a Luxembourg guy who studied for a semester at Vanderbilt and his girlfriend who I'm thrilled to meet!

Tomorrow, Alex and I are going to take a little day trip to Trier, Germany, which is only about 35 minutes away.  I'll take pictures and blog our adventure when we return!  I'll also be posting a 5 minute video that Alex and I took this week of the city and our apartment!  It will give you a glimpse of what it looks like where we live and where we'll be spending the next few years!

Love until next time...Melanie

1 comment:

  1. So fun!! I am very proud of you Melanie of surviving and no doubt accomplishing your first day. Can't wait to hear more. xoxo

    ReplyDelete