Tuesday, April 12, 2011

5 Things...

After about 11 hours of travel, Alex and I landed safe and sound (along with our 9 checked bags, miraculously) in Luxembourg yesterday morning.  Here's a picture of Alex with the embarassing display. 

   

It has already been a very eventful day and a half and I thought I'd share a few lessons we've already learned.  Here's the official list...


5 things we've learned in Luxembourg in 24 hours:


1.  HAIR GEL IS UNIVERSAL (UNFORTUNATELY) BUT VINEYARD VINES AND LILLY PULITZER ARE NOT.  I think our clothes are going to give us away, folks.


2.  ALWAYS CHECK TO MAKE SURE BOTH KEYS OPEN YOUR DOOR WHEN GIVEN TWO TO YOUR NEW APARTMENT (especially when you don't yet have a phone, a language or a single friend).  Alex and I were locked out of our apartment yesterday for quite some time but the bartender at the restaurant below our flat allowed us to use his phone to call our relocation consultant (thank goodness I had her card in my purse) who called building management to come let us in.  I'm sure no one was inconvenienced in the process ;-)


3.  EVERYONE DOES *NOT* SPEAK ENGLISH IN LUXEMBOURG.  Even our new French tutor just emailed us... in French.  Does that seem a little funny to anyone else?  I'm thinking that if we could have read it, we wouldn't need her.


4.  iPHONES COST $1,000 IN LUXEMBOURG.  Luckily, I didn't learn this the hard way (and we got ours for a fraction of the price for a 2 year contract) but I've been informed that I've only got one shot at this.


5.  BUS DRIVERS ARE NOT LENIENT WHEN YOU DRIVE THE WRONG WAY DOWN A ONE WAY STREET.  I never though about the fact that street signs would be different here but if there's one I should learn, its the "one way / do not enter" one.  Don't worry, Mr. Bus Driver stoped before he hit us but he made it pretty clear that he wasn't happy about it :)


Hopefully, we've learned our important lessons for the day.  Tomorrow, I'll send photos or our apartment and even a video (if we can figure out how :)


Love until next time...Melanie

6 comments:

  1. Just read your blog post to Chad, too funny! Love the moving picture with all of the bags, hope you are have a great first week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex's fratty haircut, aviators, and Nike swoosh bag will also definitely give y'all away :)

    Stay on the right side of the street and talk to you soon...

    PS- a crane delivers your stuff, that's awesome! Please post pics on blog. I might have a crane come delivery some stuff to 710 (Libby says no).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a friend of Brian & Meghan... love reading your updates. The VV/Lilly comment cracked me up. Best of luck and enjoy exploring your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! This is going to be an adventure, for sure! Emily, so nice to "meet" you! Let me know if you ever find yourself in W. Europe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are a hoot! so glad you made it! i wish you would have had a blog in china...it would have been priceless!

    yes, add me to your list and that will motivate me to post something! love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel, your pic and words of Lux wisdom are absolutely priceless! I can't wait for your next entry and those pics...hope you can figure it out! Miss your face much kiddo, CHA

    ReplyDelete