Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Life on Purpose

I'm going to interrupt the summer adventure posts with some recent ponderings that I've been wresting with as of late.  I've had a lot of time with just myself and my thoughts this month.  August is THE vacation month and the month that working in Luxembourg appears to be optional.  Everyone packs up for 3-4 weeks and a mass exodus occurs until September.  While the free spirit in me loves this idea of checking out, the Martins remained in town and the extrovert in me (sans computer!) was less than delighted to be my own company for 3 weeks straight :)

Its funny what comes into clear focus when you spend extended periods of time alone.  I have been severly reminded over the last few weeks that we, as individuals, spend so much time taking care of ourselves and trying to make ourselves happy.  Here I am in a beautiful country with my husband, seeing the world, and living, for what seems to most, a fairy tale.  I've been reminded that just outside of this fairy tale, there are people surrouding me lost and in need.  People who benefit from me choosing not to make my life all about myself.  Its not likely that I will ever have this much free time again and I don't want to look back regretting years that were wasted in the grand scope of eternity.  I want to live life on purpose. 

Though I'm not sure what this will come to look like, I'm grateful for a few friends who are joining with me to dream about some possibilities.  Friends who share this vision with me and want to see what it means for their lives, as well.  There are prayers being lifted, research being done and contact being made to organizations and individuals in the city who are already making a difference. 

I'm also thankful for a book that I read recently called "The Scent of Water" and a Louie Giglio podcast titled "Life on Purpose" that have both stirred something inside me.  A Ralph Waldo Emerson quote will sum up today's post: "To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - that is to have succeeded."

Let us live life on purpose :)

Love from Luxembourg...Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment