Thursday, June 2, 2011

Luxembourg fun fact #2

Welcome to the second installment of "Luxembourg Fun Facts."  I'll title this one, "The Three Kisses."

Every girl likes to be kissed, right?  Perhaps that's not entirely the case but there's a good reason Alex calls me a "feeler."  What a treat it was for this "feeler" to find out that the Luxembourg greeting consists of THREE kisses on the cheeks! 

Upon meeting my first few Luxembourgish friends, I was kissed - first on the right cheek, then on the left, then again on the right.  I was elated.  Upon meeting more Luxembourgish friends - guys and girls, I may add - each time, they come in for the kisses!  Its funny how warm (and a little intimate) it feels to rub cheeks with someone before you even know their name.  I think I was meant to live here - I completely adore this tradition and will attempt to bring it back to the US ;)

The three kisses usually go off without a hitch but there have been a few exceptions.  After going in for a third kiss when our French teacher arrived for the first lesson, I learned that the French only kiss twice.  Because Luxembourg is so international - especially by day when the thousands of bankers flood into town from surrounding countries - there can be misplaced kisses, too many kisses or not enough kisses if you don't know the nationality of the person you're meeting.  My rule of thumb - just keep kissing until the person you are leaning in towards pulls back :)

A story of the mis-placed kiss...
Though I haven't had any embarrassing kissing moments (besides giving our French teacher an extra smooch), I will share my friend Sarah's story because I think it is hilarious.  Sarah was attending a large dinner party at her husband's co-worker's house not long after she arrived in Luxembourg.  When Sarah and her husband Chris walked in the door, everyone greeted them with the usual kisses on the cheeks.  Because Chris' company is full of European nationalities like most here, Sarah went through the motions with ten or twelve people and got a little weary towards the end.  Upon meeting one of Chris' male co-workers, Sarah swapped the kisses, the co-worker stopped after two, Sarah didn't, and suddently her third kiss landed... laid right on his mouth!  Oops!  Sarah is adorable so I'm sure he didn't mind :)

After reading this post, you're ready for your trip to Luxembourg!  Just get ready...to be kissed!

Love until next time...Melanie

1 comment:

  1. You are precious! I will hold you accountable to bring this tradition back here to the states. If anyone can, you my dear can do it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete