Thursday, May 5, 2011

A birthday in France

If you'd told me last year that this year, I'd get to spend my birthday in France, I might not have believed you.  Though we've been in Europe for three and a half weeks now, it still seems like an extended vacation...or even a dream. We spent this weekend in lovely Ribeauville, which is in the Alsace region of France along a "wine route." I am one lucky girl.

Alex and I have become great friends with the most precious couple from the States, the Queens, who embarked on this weekend adventure with us.  We hit the road on Saturday morning with the Queens, drove 3 hours to a tiny wine village in France called Ribeauville to spend a few days doing tastings, hiking to a castle and eating lots of cheese - something that I've grown more fond of since living here.  Here are a few pictures:




After a very French lunch in Ribeauville (my salmon came out unexpectedly raw), we visited a few of the wineries in the area and explored the cute town and the Riquewihr, the village down the street.  After a nice dinner, we found our hotel, which was in a separate village, Thannenkirch.  The hotel was very homey and had a lodgey / rustic feel. The only issue, besides the fact that our "king" bed was comprised of two twin beds pushed together, was the length of the bed(s). Poor Alex couldn't fit on it!


After a night of diagonal sleeping (and being woken up several times by our built-in-the-bathroom-wall hairdryer turning itself on sporatically during the night), we started our day with breakfast and then hiked to the top of a mountain to see ruins from an old castle.  Our guide and friend, Micah, is a very out-doorsy and adventurous fella but he did let us know what we were getting ourselves in to. The strenuious hike, which required me to use my hands to literally climb up the steep terrain, led us up a (very unpopulated) trail to the most beautiful view!  Here it is!



After the hike, we opened our picnic and had lunch overlooking the surrounding vineyards and tiny towns below.  It was a perfect day!

I'll post a video that we took from the top ASAP!

Love until next time...Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment